Our 4th Annual
It’s column contest time again! Details…
1. Form and content is open. We are looking for material that is engaging and interesting, in a “we know it when we see it” way. It would probably be a mistake to look at our current columns and try to replicate them. We love those columns, but they came about by authors simply following their own paths. Engage your subject matter in the way you find most compelling. Our site is primarily known for printing funny things, but columns need not be comic in nature. They don’t even need to be writing, as we have begun to feature more graphic-based material.
2. Everyone is invited. Citizens of all countries are encouraged to submit, provided the submissions are written in English.
3. Level of polish and professionalism counts… a lot. Please take your time to make your submission as good as possible. We’re looking for writers who are reliable and obsessive over their own work. We also want to see that there is a well-defined vision that will carry over from the first installment to the last.
4. Length is also open. In general, we find anything over 2000-2500 words begins to be taxing on readers when read on the Internet, but if the length is justified, we’re the last ones to complain.
5. Submissions should contain the following:
- a brief description of the proposed column (keep it short; just tell us where you’re coming from)
- one full example column
- brief descriptions of three additional installments of your column
- a short biographical note
6. Submitting your submissions. All submissions should be both pasted into the body of an email and sent as a .doc or .rtf attachment. Please arrange the material in the order outlined in #5 above. Any submissions that fail to provide all the requested information will be ineligible for consideration. All material should be previously unpublished, including personal blogs, Facebook, Twitter, or whatever thing is invented between now and the end of the contest. There is no fee for contest submission. Submissions should be sent to email@example.com.
7. Previous winners and current or past columnists. Are not eligible for the column contest this time around.
8. Please submit only one entry per author. Pick the idea that’s most compelling to you and run with it.
9. Deadline. Submissions will be accepted until Monday, August 20th at 10pm Eastern time. Winners will be announced no later than Friday, August, 31. Please include a phone number where you can be reached in case of email failure.
10. Prizes. We have prizes. Cash prizes. The top five selections will each receive a $500 lump sum and a one-year contract to write your column (twice a month or thereabouts) for McSweeney’s Internet Tendency. One of those five winners will win a $250 bonus voted on by our readers. We do reserve the right to choose fewer (or more) winners than our planned number of five.
11. Responses to submissions. You will receive notice of receipt of your entry, however, because of the volume of submissions, we will not be able to respond personally to each entry if they are not advancing in the contest.
12. Rights.Authors retain all rights to both their submissions and the winning entries. We simply ask for permission to display your work on the website.
13. If you have any questions that aren’t answered here, please feel free to send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUGGESTED READSColumn Contests Winners!
by McSweeney's (8/31/2012)
Help Us Select Our Column Contest’s Grand Prize Winner
by McSweeney's (9/17/2012)
It’s Column Contest Time Again!
by McSweeney's (8/16/2013)
RECENTLYSentient Cloud of Poisonous Gas Seeks Companion
by Sam Shelstad (2/27/2015)
Open Letters: An Open Letter to Women Who Shame Catcalling
by Wendy Litner (2/27/2015)
List: Existentialist Quotes for Social Media Platforms
by Jim Sabataso (2/27/2015)
POPULARReasons You Were Not Promoted That are Totally Unrelated to Gender
by Homa Mojtabai (1/27/2015)
List: What a Straight Man’s Favorite Musical Says About Him
by Mara Wilson (2/10/2015)
Jamie and Jeff’s Birth Plan
by Paul William Davies (12/26/2012)