The McSweeney’s Biggest Ever Back-to-School Sale!
Today, August 20, marks the beginning of something wonderful—a two-week-long store-exploder of a sale, aiming to clear out our warehouse (they want to build a juice bar in there, we are taking up too much space, there may be whole forklifts lost under piles of our books, at this point) and fill up your shelves/backpacks/cargo pockets, as well as letting you finish your holiday/birthday/fallout-shelter shopping by the traditional August 31 deadline. That’s right—we took one last chance to look through our vaults, before barreling into a fall filled with more tremendous books than we’ve ever attempted to let fly at once, and realized we should actually try to make some room in there. Fortunately, we’ve decided to do it by making our latest books very affordable. And by getting authors to agree to inscribe them in any way you desire. And by offering products we thought were gone forever, and discounted subscriptions, and free books for those who spend not even terribly large amounts of money, and complete sets (or nearly complete sets!) of some of our periodicals, and many, many other good and important things.
Below, in this very email, and also all through every cranny and warren of our store, you’ll find steep discounts on new and old books and magazines, special offers on favorite titles of yesteryear that are temporarily back in stock, and spectacularly rare items we’ve made available for probably the very last time. Signed copies of David Byrne’s How Music Works! Original Tony Millionaire illustrations! So many other wonderful opportunities and lost gems! Read on, and be inspired!
Limited Edition and Rare McSweeney’s Goods
Out-of-print hits, rare editions of future books, and once-in-a-lifetime chances at signed and personalized titles:
- Preorder a signed copy of David Byrne’s How Music Works (only 30 available) for $50!
- William T. Vollman’s indispensable Rising Up and Rising Down indispensable Rising Up and Rising Down—unavailable for nearly eight years!—is back in stock.
- So too is the impossible-to-obtain Panorama—Issue 33 of the “McSweeney’s Quarterly” (only 30 copies available) for $50! Some of the finest journalism McSweeney’s has ever produced!
- So is Marcel Dzama’s gorgeous Berlin Years (only 5 left) for $100! Hard-to-find extraordinary illustrations!
- What about It is Right to Draw Their Fur or A Hologram for the King signed by Dave Eggers? Yes. Yep. You betcha. Personalized, even? That too!
- Original Tony Millionaire illustrations from $30 to $100! One-of-a-kind illustrations from the brilliant Believer artist!
- A personalized birthday greeting, made by the McSweeney’s staff for $250! (Email Sunra for details: email@example.com)
- An office tour for $250 and carry away some great books! (Email Sunra for details: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A copy of There are Many of Us (only 20 copies available) signed by Spike for $50!
The Newest McSweeney’s Books are 30% Off!
- A Hologram for the King, now $17.50!
- A Million Heavens, now $16.80!
- Emmaus, now $15.40!
- Search Sweet Country, now $16.80!
- The Middle Stories, now $9.10!
- Vicky Swanky Is a Beauty, now $14.00!
- Hot Pink, now $15.40!
- The Night Riders, now $11.17!
- It Chooses You, Now $11.20!
- The End of War, now $15.40!
- At Home on the Range, now $16.80!
- More Baths Less Talking, now $9.80!
- Magic Hours, Now $9.80!
- The Emily Dickinson Reader, now $11.90!
- Fragile Acts, now $12.60!
- Love, an Index, now $12.60!
Backlist Books are 40% Off!
Journals and Paper Goods are 60% Off!
Discounts on Periodical Back Issues!
- Believer back issues: $5.00 (single issues), $6.00 (double issues)!
- Wholphin: $10.00 each!
- Quarterlies: 50% off!
Generous Discounts for the Intrepid Shopper!
Just email Sunra
(email@example.com to claim your freebies!)
- Spend $50, get a Furry Journal
- Spend $100, get a Furry Journal and your choice of The Wild Things, Comedy By the Numbers, or Symphony City.
- Spend $200, get the complete Wholphin set!
- Spend $400, get the complete Wholphin set, a signed copy of A Hologram for the King, and a signed copy of At Home on the Range.
- Spend $500, get the complete Wholphin set, a signed book of your choice (A Hologram for the King, At Home on the Range, Hot Pink, Emmaus), and a copy of Mission Street Food!
- Spend $2,500: Everything mentioned above, plus a piece of personalized erotic Fifty Shades of Gray-esque fiction written by a prominent McSweeney’s author.
- Spend $10,000: Everything mentioned above, plus a personal voicemail message left FOR YOU by a notable McSweeney’s author impersonating NPR’s Carl Kasell and a one-of-a-kind poster commissioned from a McSweeney’s artist, with subject matter of your choosing.
- Spend $1,000,000: How is this even possible? Did you buy everything? It doesn’t matter; you’ll get everything mentioned above, plus an actual sailboat that we will paint for you.
Email Sunra@mcsweeneys.net to claim your freebies!
Get the Complete Collection!
- The Wholphin Collection set: $150
- The Believer Collection_ for $400
- The Quarterly Collection (except Issues 1-3, 5-13, 18, 28, 33, and 36): $600
The angry teenage poItergeists who handle fulfillment at our warehouse are at the ready; there has never been a better time to buy 90 magazines from us at once! It’s going to be a terrific two weeks, everybody! See you on the other side,