Originally published May 21, 2020.
Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff —
After careful deliberation, we are pleased to report we can finally announce that we plan to re-open campus this fall. But with limitations. Unless we do not. Depending on guidance, which we have not yet received.
Please know that we eventually will all come together as a school community again. Possibly virtually. Probably on land. Maybe some students will be here? Perhaps the RAs can be let in to feed the lab rats?
We plan to follow the strictest recommended guidance from public health officials, except in any case where it might possibly limit our major athletic programs, which will proceed as usual.
We understand you may have concerns about the University’s future, but we will take this time to emphasize that academic terms are merely units of time, and here at the University, we strongly believe in the concept of time.
In this time, more than ever, it is time for strong, decisive action.
We have decided to delay our decision.
It is our decision to delay our decision so we can decide on our decision at a later decided time.
We will make our final decision on campus reopening on a date no later than the day our closest competing universities announce their decisions and no earlier than the day after we cash your fall tuition deposit checks.
The University is here for you in this trying time. If you have any questions not answered by this email, please do not hesitate to re-read this email.