Send your list submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Say When Pretending You Grew Up Middle-Class and Not in a Housing Project in Brooklyn.
1. “Well, at least you can get miles for that.”People seem to be more comfortable with someone if they know they’ve flown extensively.
2. Geez, I remember going to Odeon with my parents."Use this line when dealing with people in creative industries. But be careful, as you may get a follow-up question/comment involving the phrase, “fois gras”. If that happens, excuse yourself for a smoke or something.
3. “It was actually sort of suburban there.”Use this to describe where you grew up. Never mention that you still doodle your old graffiti tag.
4. “That’s the Outkast, right?”
5. “That was like something from Fraggle Rock.”Use this when something really, really surreal occurs. From what I put together, Fraggle Rock was a Muppets-esque show that aired on HBO on Thursday nights in the 80s. A follow-up line you can use: “I think it was on Thursdays nights or something like that.” People eat this shit up.
6. “It’s great there this time of year.”Works well in conjunction with no. 1. Don’t use this phrase too often with the same person. Obviously.
7. “I hear The Samples are coming to town soon.”Works great with people from the Midwest, especially if they went to the University of Colorado. The magic of this phrase: There is NO wrong time to use it.
SUGGESTED READSThe Williamsburg Address
by Marco Kaye (11/4/2010)
List: I Can Never Recall the Name of Brooklyn’s New Hip Band
by Dan Kennedy (9/16/2005)
A Bicycle Built for One
by Matthew Carlin (6/18/2014)
RECENTLYI Have Signed the Guestbook of Your Charming Cottage By the Sea
by Dan Kennedy (8/26/2016)
List: Back-to-School Shopping List for Your Teenager Who’s Just Going Through a Phase
by Madison Seely (8/26/2016)
Doing Science: The Oxygen Crisis, or, Sometimes These Things Name Themselves
by Emily Helliwell (8/26/2016)
POPULARI Would Rather Do Anything Else Than Write the Syllabus for Your Class
by Robin Lee Mozer (8/25/2016)
Do You Have a Child or Have You Just Been Followed Home By a Hyena?
by Kira Jane Buxton (8/23/2016)
List: Facebook Posts by People You Went to High School With Scavenger Hunt—Election Edition
by Derrick Fenner (8/23/2016)