1. I am sequestered in a room against my will with needy family members.
2. My world is ruled by cruel and powerful people who determine my fate.
3. I regularly daydream about becoming a prima ballerina.
4. My body changes, and I stare at my new curves in the mirror.
5. I tiptoe through our cramped space, fearful of waking the little ones. Their sleep is the only privacy I have.
6. My mother refuses to stay shut inside and instead dangerously socializes with her friends.
7. All day I dream of escaping to the outside, away from my goddamned family.
8. Life is short; I’m eating the doughnuts even though I know they’re bad for me.
9. I now wear soft, shapeless clothing because I no longer see the need for the tight, restrictive finery of my old life.
10. Desperate for human interaction, I have made friends with a mouse.
11. After subsisting on unsatisfying crumbs in our small prison, a knock at the door gives hope that we would live another day. Our food is delivered.
12. I have sex with my brother.
Flowers In the Attic: All
My quarantine: ALL BUT NUMBER TWELVE. I SHOULDN’T EVEN HAVE TO SAY THIS.